Although 2018 Melee has already started up over in Europe and we got a glance at a new dual-main, the year truly begins with GENESIS 5 on Jan. 19-21. Round one pools aren't finalized yet, but all other information has been released. Here are three highlights based on current predictions.
3. Rematch: Westballz vs Spark
In the semifinals of round two pool I6, Weston "Westballz" Dennis is projected to play Zaid "Spark" Ali, a PR'd NorCal Sheik who pulled off a huge upset and put Westballz into the losers bracket early at Shine 2017.
This rematch to kick off 2018 will be quite the show.
2. aMSa's Path Through Winners
With not one, but two separate rematches from Apex tournaments past, Masaya "aMSa" Chikamoto is currently set to play Roustane "Kage" Benzeguir (who he played in an Apex 2014 salty suite) in round two pool I5 before, if he wins, moving on to face Zachary "SFAT" Cordoni in top 64.
1. Top Eight Winners Qualifiers
The predicted top eight qualifier matches are always interesting, especially in winners. At GENESIS 5, they're going to be more interesting than they've been in a while. Here's what we could see:
- Juan "Hungrybox" DeBiedma vs. Justin "Wizzrobe" Hallett (if Wizzy beats SFAT)
- Jason "Mew2King" Zimmerman vs. William "Leffen" Hjelte
- Adam "Armada" Lindgren vs. Jeffrey "Axe" Williamson
- Joseph "Mang0" Marquez vs. Justin "Plup" McGrath.
Those are all matches any Melee fan would love to see!