Astra, the Ghanaian cosmic warrior, arrives in Valorant March 2, bringing the game's roster of Agents up to 16.
Riot Games designed Astra as a controller with a fundamentally (and literally) different view of the battlefield. Her abilities allow her to see the map from above, leaving her body vulnerable to plan out rounds with well-placed traps.
"We wanted her skill expression to be about gathering information and turning that into a plan, where the execution phase is less about precisely targeting a grenade and more about seeing if your read on the enemy came together how you hoped," said designer Jordan "Wrekz" Anton.
Astra's aesthetic draw on African Futurism, but Riot Games also worked with a Ghanaian consultant to make sure the baseline elements were properly presented.
Astra Abilities Explained
Astral Form/Cosmic Divide (X)
- Activate to enter Astral Form where you can place Stars with Primary Fire. Stars can be reactivated later, transforming them into a Nova Pulse, Nebula or Gravity Well.
- When Cosmic Divide is charged, used Secondary Fire in Astral Form to begin aiming at, then Primary Fire to select two locations. An infinite Cosmic Divide connects the two points you select, blocking bullets and heavily dampening audio.
Gravity Well (C)
- Activate a Star to form a Gravity Well. Players in the area are pulled toward the center before it explodes, making all players still trapped inside fragile.
Nova Pulse (Q)
- Activate a Star to detonate a Nova Pulse. The Nova Pulse charges briefly, then strikes, concussing all players in its area.
- Activate a Star to transform it into a Nebula (smoke).
- Use on a Star to Dissipate it, returning the star to be placed in a new location after a delay. Briefly forms a fake Nebula at the Star's location before returning.