Pokemon GO Battle League Season 9 is here and has quite a few changes trainers should know about before they dive in.
As with every new season, Pokemon GO developer Niantic Labs has shifted a few attacks and events around in order to switch up the meta. Their goal here is to accommodate more trainers and elevate other Pokemon to break the mold that formed during Season 8. A total of six Pokemon have had their movesets adjusted and seven moves have been issued extra effects.
Here's everything new in Season 9.
Full List of Changes in Pokemon GO Battle Season 9
Pokemon GO Battle Nights will become Pokemon GO Battle Days from Season 9 onward in order to allow more trainers to participate.
Normal Weather Ball has been added and will do 55 damage in Trainer Battles, Gyms, and Raids. Its typed counterpart—fire, water, snow, and rock—has had its damage decreased five points from 60 to 55.
- Crunch—Now has a chance of lowering the opposing Pokémon’s Defense. (Dev Note: We’re adding an effect to this move when it’s used in Trainer battles to tie in with its effect in the core Pokémon RPGs.)
- Feather Dance—Energy cost increased. (Dev Note: We’re increasing the energy cost of this Charged Attack slightly to make it harder to use as often.)
- Megahorn—Damage increase from 100 to 110. (Dev Note: We’re giving Megahorn a slight increase in damage to boost Nidoking’s, Heracross’s, and Escavalier’s high-cost Charged Attack options.)
- Scald—Energy cost decreased and now provides a chance of lowering the opposing Pokémon’s Attack. (Dev Note: We’re lowering the energy cost of this Charged Attack and adding an effect to this move when it’s used in Trainer battles to tie in with its effect in the core Pokémon RPGs.)
- Zap Cannon—Guaranteed to lower the opposing Pokémon’s Attack. (Dev Note: We’re adding an effect to this move when it’s used in Trainer Battles to tie in with its effect in the Pokémon RPGs. We hope this will provide Pokémon like Zapdos, Regirock, Magnezone, and Porygon-Z a chance to shine.)
Pokemon Attack Availability Changes
- Cofagrigus can now learn Shadow Claw.
- Heracross can now learn Rock Blast.
- Manectric can now learn Thunder Fang and Overheat.
- Nidoking can now learn Sand Tomb.
- Normal Castform can now learn Weather Ball.
- Poliwrath can now learn Scald.
More information about Pokemon GO Battle Season 9 can be found on the game's official news blog.