Google Stadia is set to shut down for good on Jan. 18, 2023. Before that happens, players are encouraged to backup their saves. Here's how.
Last September, Google announced that servers for the Google Stadia would turned off on Jan. 18, 2023. Purchases of games, add-ons and subscriptions were all stopped after the announcement, with Stadia processing refunds where possible for eligible users.
Given that Google Stadia is a cloud-based gaming system, players will no longer be able to play any games using the system after Jan. 18. Some game publishers have provided ways to transfer game data to other platforms, though players may have to purchase the game on another platform to play.
If you're looking to download and transfer game data, here's what you need to know.
How to Download Google Stadia Game Data
To obtain Google Stadia game saves, users should follow the instructions below:
- Open takeout.google.com.
- In "Create a new export" section click "Deselect all" and select "Stadia". Press "Next Step" to continue.
- Choose your preferred destination and “Export once” frequency. Choose ".zip" file type and "2 GB" size. Press "Create Export".
- Download the export from the destination chosen in the previous step.
- Locate the downloaded archive on your PC. Extract it.
- Game saves will be located in the following path:.../Takeout/Stadia/GAMING/GAME_SAVE/
- Files of each game save are located inside archives. Extract them to separate folders.
The instructions, as highlighted by CD Projekt Red for Cyberpunk 2077, can then be transferred over to PC:
- To use the extracted saves on PC version, simply copy-paste those folders to the following path: %userprofile%\Saved Games\CD Projekt Red\Cyberpunk 2077. Make sure that files are not nested inside another folder.
- If you own a game copy on a supported console platform, you can use cross progression on any of the PC platforms and sync it with your GOG account to transfer your progress to a console:
- Start Cyberpunk 2077 on the PC.
- Make sure that you are logged in in the REDlauncher - this will be the account used to store your cross platform saves.
- Make sure the cross-platform saves are enabled in the in-game Settings.
- Load the latest save file from Stadia (or any other that you want to copy)
- Save the game again.
- This save file should be synced with the cloud and appear on your console (if you're logged in to the same GOG account).
Players have until Jan. 18 to back up their game save data.