This is how to fix the New World Steam must be running error.
Recently, some players haven't been able to play access New World servers because of an error with Easy Anti-Cheat, or EAC. Players suffering from this issue will be prompted with an error message that says something along the lines of, "Steam must be running to play this game," or, "untrusted system file (c:\ProgramFiles(x86)\Steam...)." Essentially, EAC is not recognizing Steam as a trusted file and as such will not let players join an online game.
Fortunately, this issue has a fairly simple and reliable way to fix this issue.
How to Fix the New World Steam Must be Running Error
To fix this error begin by closing New World and opening Steam. Then follow the procedure below:
- Navigate to the Steam Library
- Select New World from the left-side tab
- Click Settings (little gear icon to the right)
- Hover over "Manage" in the Settings drop-down menu
- Click on "Browse Local Files" from the second drop-down menu
- File Explorer should then open and display all of New World's local files
- Open the "EasyAntiCheat" folder
- Right click the "EasyAntiCheat_Setup.exe" and run it as administrator
- EAC should open
- Select New World from the list of games and click "Repair Service"
If everything is done correctly, players should be able to join servers after a brief wait.