League of Legends Season 2023 Ranked changes were detailed in the Patch 13.1 notes released Thursday, Jan. 10.
League of Legends Patch 13.1 kicks off Season 2023 including balance changes, updates to Ranked, a new Mythic Shop rotation and more. Preseason 2023 introduced players to more jungle changes, a new tank meta thanks to items like Heartsteel and much more. As players prepare for another year of climbing the ladder, there are changes coming to Ranked Solo/Duo and Ranked Flex.
"Season 2023 - Split 1 begins with the release of Patch 13.1 in your region! Ranks have been reset, hit the Rift in Ranked Solo/Duo or Ranked Flex to begin your climb," Riot Games said in the Patch 13.1 notes.
League of Legends Season 2023 Ranked Changes
Here's the full list of Ranked changes coming in League of Legends Patch 13.1 and Season 2023, per Riot Games and Patch 13.1:
- New Ranked rewards as you climb have been added! These are earned through obtaining Split Points by completing games. You earn 10 Split Points for a win, and six for a loss. Check out the rewards in the Ranked tab in the client.
- The Ranked skin for Split 1 is earnable by players of all ranks, but the amount of Split Points required varies by rank: 80 points for Gold and above and 1,600 points for Silver and below. In addition, once you earn the skin, it remains earned even if you were to demote. The skin will be distributed after the end of Season 2023 - Split 1.
- Promotion Series have been reduced from a best of five to a best of three
- The restriction on duoing in Ranked Solo/Duo with an MMR of Masters or above is disabled until Patch 13.3. Note that duo restrictions based on visible rank are still active, so a player who reaches Master or above will not be able to duo.
- Visible rank is no longer used as matchmaking criteria, only MMR (Note: this was implemented in Patch 12.23)
- Career stats have been reset for the new ranked season
Updates to Ranked rewards are a positive change after last season, while Promotion Series' have been reduced by two games. As well, those hoping to matchmake with players with MMRs in Masters or above in Solo/Duo will have to wait two patches. That won't have an impact on duo restrictions based on visible rank.