Pokemon GO players will have to beat the Team GO Rocket boss, Giovanni, with specific Pokemon types in January 2023. From choosing the best types of Pokemon to selecting the super-effective counters, here's everything you need to know about beating Giovanni.
Pokemon GO Giovanni January 2023: How to Beat
When fighting the Team GO Rocket boss, Giovanni, there are five Pokemon that trainers should know how to counter. Giovanni will use Persian, Nidoqueen, Steelix, Rhyperior and Shadow Mewtwo. Giovanni will always use Persian and Mewtwo, with Persian appearing during the first phase of the battle and Shadow Mewtwo will appear as the last Pokemon.
First Pokemon: Persian
Persian is a Normal-type Pokemon, so players should use a Fighting-type Pokemon as counters.
- Lucario - Counter and Aura Sphere
- Conkeldurr - Counter and Dynamic Punch
- Terrakion - Double Kick and Sacred Sword
Second Pokemon: Nidoqueen, Steelix or Rhyperior
Players may face Nidoqueen, Steelix or Rhyperior in the second phase of the battle, so each Pokemon will have different types and players should be aware of the best counters for these specific situations.
- Nidoqueen Counter: Alakazam - Confusion and Psychic
- Steelix Counter: Lucario - Counter and Aura Sphere
- Rhyperior Counter: Swampert - Water Gun and Hydro Cannon
Third Pokemon: Shadow Mewtwo
Giovanni will use Shadow Mewtwo as the last Pokemon in the battle, and this Pokemon is a Psychic-type, so players should use Bug-, Ghost-, or Dark-type counters.
- Hydregion - Bite and Brutal Swing
- Chandelure - Hex and Shadow Ball
- Mega Houndoom - Snarl and Foul Play