Pokemon GO experienced its best year ever, just in time for its five-year anniversary celebration.
It's Pokemon GO's fifth birthday this week—and what better gift could trainers give than another $1 billion in revenue? Since its initial launch in July 2017, the popular augmented reality title has made around $1 billion every year. Unsurprisingly, that makes the game an industry leader, and Niantic Labs likely one heck of a proud parent.
Pokemon GO Profits Top $5 Billion at 5-Year Anniversary
According to a new report published on July 6 from the Sensor Tower, Pokemon GO earned an additional 34% profit in just the first half of 2021. Its revenue has been steadily increasing since release by ~20% per year, meaning that by the end of 2021 the game will likely see just over double its original profits in 2017.
"H1 2021 also represents Pokémon GO’s best ever start to a year, with revenue up 34 percent from H1 2020 and up 130 percent from H1 2017." The report reads.
The United States leads the pack for the game, generating $1.9 billion on its own. Japan follows close behind, with Germany rounding out the top three. Google Play makes up the bulk of in-app purchases with $2.7 billion or 52.8%. The Apple App Store makes up the remaining $2.4 billion—47.2%.
Unsurprisingly, this data is substantiated by the amount of downloads on either side. Google Play takes the cake again with 77% of downloads while Apple's App Store only provides 23%. That's 487 million to 144.8 million, respectively.
Happy Birthday, Pokemon GO!