A new PUBG Xbox update went live Friday, including a new map selection feature and fixes to both hitching/freezing and rendering bugs.
"Simply put, we have a lot of different ways to play (four maps, two perspectives, and many different regions), so balancing your desire to drop into a map on-demand with the need to minimize matchmaking times has become a priority. Internally, we have been looking at ways to improve map selection for both PC and console. Although we have not yet decided the best long-term course of action, we have decided to move forward with changes for the console community based on your feedback and suggestions," PUBG Corp community manager PUBG_Lumos said describing the new map selection feature.
Map selection is pointless though if the game doesn't run smoothly and PUBG Xbox hasn't been void of criticism.
Here's everything you need to know about the latest performance updates to PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS Xbox.
PUBG Xbox Update Adds Hitching and Freezing Updates
Here's what PUBG Corp had to say on Hitching/Freezing and Rendering in the update post:
- During early game looting, many of our players have been experiencing hitches and freezing. Thanks to your feedback, we were able to identify and fix this issue.
- We rolled out a hotfix on April 25, 7PM PDT / April 26, 4AM CEST to resolve this issue, and we would like to thank everyone who took time to send in reports, video, and feedback as this greatly helped us investigate this issue.
- Our team has been focused on improving rendering and world loading for quite some time. We’ve touched on this topic a few times in past dev letters, but this has been a very complex issue to tackle due to the large amounts of data required to calculate on all maps.
- Our current solution is to reduce the data size of all maps, which will reduce loading times to a much faster rate. We expect this optimization will improve loading speed, which will produce fewer "playdough" architecture and more fully rendered buildings.
- Below, you’ll find a video clip that shows the optimization improvements we've made:
- Video clip: https://www.pubg.com/2019/04/25/dev-update-map-selection/
- You can expect these changes to be implemented soon since we plan to launch the optimizations to live servers by the month of May. We obviously want to ensure you are having the best experience possible on all maps, so this is a high priority for us and these solutions are the first step in our efforts to continually improve rendering and optimization.
Photo courtesy of PUBG Corp