Rockstar Games says Grand Theft Auto: The Trilogy – The Definitive Edition will be returned to its digital storefront soon — right after it pulls a bunch of files from it that were unintentionally included in the release.
GTA: The Trilogy – The Definitive Edition launched Thursday, but PC players have still yet to get into the game. The trouble started with a Rockstar Games Launcher outage that began alongside the release — starting up the game requires an active internet connection and the Rockstar Games Launcher even though it has no multiplayer element.
As of Saturday evening, the Rockstar Games Launcher has been revived, but Rockstar says the Trilogy won't be available to play or purchase "as we remove files unintentionally included in these versions."
"We're sorry for the disruption and hope to have correct ones up soon," the company tweeted from its official support account.
Rockstar did not say which files were unintentionally included. It's possible the files in question are unlicensed music tracks — data miners found those files were still in the game, but had been disabled — but that has yet to be confirmed.
Data miners also found the game's files included developer comments from the games' original development.
"For those who don't understand, it is basically the Holy Grail for those, who cares about 'behind the scene' stuff," said one Twitter user. "We can see what was cut in the missions/scripts and read Rockstar North's notes from that era."
Rockstar has yet to say how long removing the extra files will take.