The long suspected overhaul to Sony's PlayStation Plus and PlayStation Now services has been officially announced.
Previously referred to as Project Spartacus, PlayStation's answer to Xbox Game Pass has been long rumored. Now, Sony has revealed that it's all-new PlayStation Plus service will be launching this June.
Sony Interactive Entertainment President and CEO Jim Ryan said of the announcement, "Today, we are pleased to share with you official news about changes coming to our subscription services."
"This June, we’re bringing together PlayStation Plus and PlayStation Now in an all-new PlayStation Plus subscription service that provides more choice to customers across three membership tiers globally. "
The new service will be split into three tiers: PlayStation Plus Essential, PlayStation Plus Extra, and PlayStation Plus Premium. The breakdown for each tier is as follows:
Essential, Extra, Premium: What's Included in the New PlayStation Plus Tiers?
PlayStation Plus Essential
Provides the same benefits that PlayStation Plus members are getting today, such as:
- Two monthly downloadable games
- Exclusive discounts
- Cloud storage for saved games
- Online multiplayer access
PlayStation Plus Essential remains the same as the current price for PlayStation Plus in the United States: $9.99 monthly/$24.99 quarterly/$59.99 yearly.
PlayStation Plus Extra
- Provides all the benefits from the Essential tier
- Adds a catalog of up to 400 PS4 and PS5 games – including games from Sony's PlayStation Studios catalog and third-party partners. Games in the Extra tier are downloadable for play.
$14.99 monthly/$39.99 quarterly/$99.99 yearly.
PlayStation Plus Premium
- Provides all the benefits from Essential and Extra tiers
- Adds up to 340 additional games, including: PS3 games available via cloud streaming, a catalog of classic games available in both streaming and download options from the original PlayStation, PS2 and PSP generations
- Offers cloud streaming access for original PlayStation, PS2, PSP and PS4 games offered in the Extra and Premium tiers in markets where PlayStation Now is currently available.
- Customers can stream games using PS4 and PS5 consoles, and PC.
- Time-limited game trials will also be offered in this tier, so customers can try select games before they buy.
$17.99 monthly / $49.99 quarterly / $119.99 yearly.
When the new service launches in June, PlayStation Now will transition into the new PlayStation Plus and will no longer be available as a standalone service. PlayStation Now customers will migrate over to PlayStation Plus Premium with no increase to their current subscription fees at launch.