Sony have revealed their next-gen VR system, the PS VR2. The system will bring new visuals, sensory features, eye-tracking, and more.
Sony has revealed, during their CES 2022 keynote on Tuesday, the official technical specifications for their next VR venture, the PS VR2. Alongside the system, the company also revealed a new PS VR2 Sense controller which will "enable players to feel and interact with games in a much more visceral way."
The first game to head to the new system will be Horizon Call of the Mountain from Guerrilla and Firesprite, which is being built specifically for the new PS VR2.
According to the official announcement on the PlayStation blog, the PS VR2 will make use of the following features:
- Visual Fidelity:
PS VR2 offers 4K HDR, 110-degree field of view, and foveated rendering. With an OLED display, players can expect a display resolution of 2000×2040 per eye and smooth frame rates of 90/120Hz.
- Headset-based Controller Tracking:
PS VR2 tracks you and your controller through integrated cameras embedded in the VR headset. Your movements and the direction you look at are reflected in-game without the need for an external camera.
- New Sensory Features:
PS VR2 Sense Technology combines eye tracking, headset feedback, 3D Audio, and the innovative PS VR2 Sense controller to create an incredibly deep feeling of immersion. Headset feedback is a new sensory feature that amplifies the sensations of in-game actions from the player.
- Eye Tracking:
PS VR2 detects the motion of your eyes. Looking in a specific direction can create an additional input for the game character.
PSVR2 Full Technical Specs Revealed
The official specifications for the new PlayStation VR2 are as follows:
- Display Method: OLED
- Panel Resolution: 2000 x 2040 per eye
- Panel refresh rate: 90Hz, 120Hz
- Lens separation: Adjustable
- Field of View: Approx. 110 degrees
- Sensors: Motion Sensor: Six-axis motion sensing system (three-axis gyroscope, three-axis accelerometer), Attachment Sensor: IR Proximity sensor
- Cameras: 4 cameras for headset and controller trackingIR camera for eye tracking per eye
- Feedback: Vibration on headset
- Communication with PS5: USB Type-C®
- Audio Input: Built-in microphone
- Output: Stereo headphone jack
PS VR2 Sense Controllers Specifications
The official specifications for the new PS VR2 Sense controllers are as follows:
- Buttons: [Right] PS button, Options button, Action buttons (Circle / Cross), R1 button, R2 button, Right Stick / R3 button
[Left] PS button, Create button, Action buttons (Triangle / Square), L1 button, L2 button, Left Stick / L3 button
- Sensing/ Tracking: Motion Sensor: Six-axis motion sensing system (three-axis gyroscope + three-axis accelerometer)
- Capacitive Sensor: Finger Touch DetectionIR LED: Position Tracking
- Feedback: Trigger Effect (on R2/L2 button), Haptic Feedback (by single actuator per unit)
- Port: USB Type-C® Port
- Communication: Bluetooth® Ver5.1
- BatteryType: Built-in Lithium-ion Rechargeable Battery