The Callisto Protocol has just received its latest update, and it's a big one.
Striking Distance Studios' sci-fi survival horror The Callisto Protocol launched in early December 2022. From the get-go, the game drew comparisons to 2008's Dead Space, as game director Glen Schofield was one of Dead Space's co-creators.
The Callisto Protocol drops players into the story of Jacob Lee, a contract freight transporter working for the United Jupiter Company. After ferrying shipments of unlabeled cargo between Europa and the UJC-operated Black Iron Prison on Callisto, his ship is boarded by the Outer Way — a terrorist group.
The ship is forced to crash onto Callisto. Lee is recovered by Black Iron Prison security head Captain Leon Ferris and committed to Black Iron Prison without charges. Jacob soon finds himself, and the prison, in the midst of being overrun by inmates infected by "biophages."
Reception to the game was mixed, with some citing its unique combat as a hang-up point alongside a number of bugs. But, the studio was quick to roll out updates to improve optimization, squashing a number of issues out of the game for good. And it seems the updates didn't stop there.
As of yesterday, Jan. 19, The Callisto Protocol received its v3.01 update which added in New Game+ alongside additional fixes.
The Callisto Protocol v3.01 Update Adds New Game+: Full Patch Notes Listed
- Users who previously completed the game will have access to NewGame+ after the patch.
- Application restart may be required.
- Requires an active save file from game completion.
- Fixed an issue where some users were not correctly granted the "The Protocol is About Life" achievement
- Added New Game Plus. Complete the game to unlock New Game Plus and carry your pression over to a new save. All weapons, upgrades, and Callisto Credits can be collected at the first Reforge
- General performance optimizations across all platforms
- Players no longer take damage when vaulting over obstacles
- Fixed multiple issues where certain camera angles or progression paths could cause environments to stream out and allow Jacob to fall through the ground
- Consistency pass on cabinets, lockers, and shelves to display correctly in High Contrast mode
- Voice leveling and subtitle mismatch adjustments across localized languages
- Fixed low frequency crash in the Tunnels level during the Two Head fight
- Skip Cinematics button has been mapped to the Interact/Pickup input
- Fixed a long hitch when enabling Ray-Traced Shadows in the main menu
- Prevented mouse cursor from displaying during some area transitions
- Fixed low frequency crash in Snowcat when Jacob is talking to Dani