As The Haunting event remains ongoing in Warzone, it can be easy to forget that jump scares are back in the battle royale.
This was perhaps showcased no better than the one and only TimTheTatman who, on Thursday, casually let his guard down while running around in the in The Ghosts of Verdansk playlist.
On Oct. 21, Tim posted a clip of him getting jump scared with the caption, "forgot warzone added these again."
As seen in the 14-second video, Tim was just minding his own business and heading over to loot a chest when in a matter of less than a second, a flashing pop-up of skeletons and a creepy laugh freaked him out so bad he threw a Thermite Grenade.
While the jump scares are simply part of some playful fun that Raven Software added in-game to fit the mood of the current festivities, it is interesting to note that the Hallucinations actually also have a new game mechanic that lets players know if they're about to get spooked.
One of The Haunting event challenges actually even encourages players to get jump scared:
- What Are You Afraid of?: Experience 3 Hallucinations while you have a full Fear Meter in The Ghosts of Verdansk playlist (Legendary "Tentacle" Charm)
As hinted at in the challenge, and as seen in Tim's clip, The Ghosts of Verdansk mode has a new Fear Meter in the bottom left part of players' HUDs next to the Armor Plates symbol.
Simply put, the more you allow your Fear Meter gauge to fill up, the more likely you are to get jump scared by a Hallucination.
Things that increase the Fear Meter include:
- Being shot at
- Being hit by enemy Equipment
- Being near Killstreaks in the area
- Camping (AKA cowardice)
- Seeing dead bodies or Ghosts
- Having squadmates downed or eliminated
Things that decrease the Fear Meter include:
- Eliminating a player or Ghost
- Reviving a squadmate
- Completing a Contract
- Standing inside Sacred Ground (areas distinguished by blue diamonds with shield symbols)