Universal Studios announced it is pushing back the opening of its Super Nintendo World Epic Universe park due to unforeseen consequences regarding the coronavirus pandemic.
Jerry Demings, Fla. Orange County Mayor, broke the news in a statement published in the Orlando Sentinel on Wednesday, March 3. According to him, Universal updated him on the delay, stating the company is resuming work on Epic Universe after previously pausing amid the outbreak of Covid-19. Universal went on to post its own update on its Orlando theme park blog after the headlines aired.
Super Nintendo World Delayed Until 2025
According to the Sentinel's Gabrielle Russon, "Orange County Mayor Jerry Demings said Universal recently told him the park’s grand opening is planned for early 2025."
Previously, the park was set to open in 2023. Progress was placed on hold due to a lack of confidence during COVID-19, according to Comcast CEO Brian Roberts. Now, however, it appears that confidence has returned—albeit with some new safety protocols, of course. Universal made reference to a slow rebuild in project speed in its statement which likely could be in response to said safety measures.
"The restart will begin immediately, but is expected to take several months before reaching full-speed as Universal restaffs for the project and reassembles its vendor and contractor teams." Universal wrote.
The update includes several statements from company CEOs under the Universal umbrella applauding the return's economic benefits for the state. However, the studio neglected to mention a timeframe for construction or any concrete details related to the Super Nintendo World area.
Roberts has praised Super Nintendo World before, having detailed it as "a whole interactive gaming experience" and stated he had high hopes for the attraction.