Pokémon GO City Spotlight is a new kind of event make in collaboration between Niantic and various cities. Four cities will participate in the first City Spotlight event, and will have both a free and ticketed experience.
Players in the following cities will be able to experience city wide events from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. on Nov. 22.
- Tainan, Taiwan
- Kyoto, Japan
- Auckland, New Zealand
- Busan, South Korea
Only players in the locations will be able to play the event. They will feature Pokémon encounters and events around the city with special Research Tasks. There are a few AR Mapping tasks, giving incentives to help Niantic improve their augmented reality functions during the event.
The event was designed with the cities participating, and adhere to the latest health and safety guidelines.
Pokémon GO City Spotlight: Everything You Need to Know
According to Niantic, the free event will consist of:
- The City Spotlight Timed Research will take you and your Buddy Pokémon all around your city.
- Take snapshots to earn Pokémon encounters, a Poffin, Stardust, and a Lucky Egg.
- Spin PokéStops for a chance to receive a special Gift sticker.
- Take part in a PokéStop scanning competition against other participating cities! Check how your city is faring in the standings on an online leaderboard. The city with the most AR Mapping tasks completed at the end of the weekend will win an exclusive event featuring a 1/4 Hatch Distance bonus!
- Receive a special reward when you complete an AR Mapping task.
The ticketed event will have the following:
- Everything in the free citywide experience.
- The following Pokémon will be attracted to special event Incense: Onix, Lapras, Unown C, Nosepass, Rhyhorn, Doduo, Mantine, Pidgey, Pelipper, Pidgeot, and Stoutland. If you’re lucky, you may encounter a Shiny Unown C! Shiny Unown C will be available only for the duration of this event to Trainers who have a City Spotlight ticket.
- Explore the city with your Buddy Pokémon using exclusive City Spotlight Special Research as a guide! Complete the Special Research to receive a Poffin, an Incense, a Super Incubator, three Lucky Eggs, a Lure Module, an encounter with Lapras, XP, and Stardust.
- Earn up to three extra hearts with your buddy in every category.
- Your buddy will know that an exciting adventure is ahead! Give it treats during the event, and it’ll automatically become excited!
- 1/4 Hatch Distance when an Egg is placed in an Incubator while the City Spotlight initiative is active.
- Incense will be more effective while you’re walking and will last for two hours.
Tickets will be available in the Events tab of the game. They will cost the equivalent of $5 USD in the local currency. They will be available until 2 p.m. on Nov. 22 in local time.