Wondering what a Soul Link Nuzlocke is in Pokémon? Here's what you need to know.
As fun as Pokémon games are in their default state, if you've played them relentlessly then you might be looking for a way to spice things up. Fortuntately, the Pokémon community have thought up some ways to add a few extra layers to the classic RPGs. By now, many are likely familiar with Pokémon Nuzlockes. These set of rules exist to add a sense of urgency to the game.
If you want to learn a bit more about how a Pokémon Nuzlocke Challenge works, then be sure to check out our guide.
For those who might be looking to take things a bit further with a Nuzlocke, then a Soul Link Nuzlocke could be your next challenge. Here's what you need to know.
Pokemon Soul Link Nuzlocke Rules
A Soul Link Nuzlocke is a cooperative challenge where all of your Pokémon are linked to that of your partner's. Your actions will effect both yourself and your partner and vice versa. Both player's starter Pokémon will be linked, as will each Pokémon caught by either player in an area. For example: if on Route 201 the first player catches a Starly and the second player catches a Bidoof, these two Pokémon will be linked.
The original Nuzlock rules still apply, but a few extra ones are added into the mix. The original rules are:
- If a Pokemon faints, it "dies" and cannot be used again. You can banish it to a box or release it immediately.
- You can only catch the first Pokémon encountered in each area.
- You must give all caught Pokémon nicknames.
When doing a Soul Link Nuzlocke, the following rules must also be adhered to:
- All Pokémon will be linked. If one faints, the Pokémon it is linked to must be banished or released as well.
- If either of you do not succeed in catching your first encounter, the other has to release their first encounter from that route or area (or simply not catch it) as well.
- If a Pokémon is placed in the PC, it’s Soul Link Partner must be placed in the PC as well.
It's important to note that these are fan-implemented rules, some players like to add in their own such as: not using healing items, not fleeing from battles, or basing their starter choice on their Trainer ID.
A Soul Link Nuzlocke is a great way to turn Pokemon into a high-stakes co-op game with a friend. Be sure to try it out if you fancy a challenge.