As promised, details about The City in MyCAREER for NBA 2K23 on Next Gen were finally revealed Wednesday.
From all-new Fast Travel stations to The Block, The Theater, The Arena, and more, here's a breakdown of everything you need to know about The City in NBA 2K23 Next Gen.
NBA 2K23 Next Gen The City Revealed
To combat the mode's dreaded long traversal times in 2K21 and 2K22, The City in NBA 2K23 is said to be about 30% smaller than last year's game with fewer "unused buildings."
Additionally, the usual subway stations scattered around the map have been repurposed to serve as instantaneous Fast Travel stations.
As seen in the new trailer, perhaps the stars of the show are the revamped Affiliation boroughs that should take longtime NBA 2K players back to the times of old, where the parks were true thematic destinations.
Aside from those niche landmarks, the central hub of The City appears to have received a lot of work, particularly with its new "mecca of competition," the Block.
Located in the exact center of The City, The Block will feature a ton of ways for players of all Affiliations to connect:
- The Theater (all-new for NBA 2K23, details below)
- Pro-Am (an all-new building featuring unique 3v3 and 5v5 experiences)
- The REC (an all-new building exterior and interior)
- Club 2K
- Black Lives Matter court (new design and now a 3v3 experience)
- Kobe court (new design and now a 3v3 experience)
The Theater could be the most well-received addition to The City when all is said and done.
Replacing the warehouses from NBA 2K22 (e.g. The Old Gym), The Theater is described as a hub with four playlists for players to hop in instant matchmaking games. The playists will rotate four new ones in each week, with events such as:
- Loser’s Out: A 2v2 mode where the opposing team gets possession after made baskets
- Hustle - A 3v3 mode that features a 12-second shot clock to keep a non-stop lightning pace of play
- Comp: Squads Only: A 3v3 mode where players must be in squads to queue
- Rooks: No Squads: A 3v3 mode where squads aren’t allowed and only those rated 75 and under can play
- Double or Nothing: Earn Double XP when you win, losing teams earn 0
- In The Bank: Shut down your opponent and a point is added to the vault, first team to hit a shot from beyond the arc will collect the current balance
- Pulling Weight: Every player on the team must contribute towards their offense equally
- Living The Dream: Your MyPLAYER will play to their true potential as their attributes and badges will be maxed
For those who especially enjoy the single-player aspects of MyCAREER, The Arena will surely catch your eye.
The Arena will be a full-scale NBA facility that players can go to to play their NBA games in MyCAREER. From the sprawling plaza to the players-only entrance, press conference room and more, this seems like something many might appreciate early on.
NBA 2K23 is set to release worldwide for PlayStation 4, PS5, Xbox One, Xbox Series X|S, Nintendo Switch and PC (via Steam) on Sept. 9, 2022.
For more on NBA 2K23, feel free to check out: