While we're still in open beta territory for Modern Warfare 2, there's plenty of content for players to get acquainted with ahead of the game's full release. Thus far, those who've managed to play the beta have been invited to test out the Core Maps, which are custom-made and built exclusively for 6-v-6 game modes. That is set to change with the addition of the Battle Maps for Ground War modes.
Here's a breakdown of everything you need to know about the Ground War Invasion game mode in Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2.
Modern Warfare 2 Open Beta Ground War Invasion Explained
As hinted at with its Ground War designation, Invasion described as a "massive and chaotic battle with a mix of player and AI fighting alongside each other and against each team."
Ultimately, Ground War Invasion is a massive Deathmatch mode that pits two teams of 20 players and accompanying AI against each other on large-scale maps (Sariff Bay and Sa'id) with vehicles.
The way to win is simple: the first team to reach a specific number of points — usually 2,000 — wins the match.
Players earn points for their team by doing the following:
- 1 Point: Eliminating a Combatant (AI-controlled characters)
- 2 Points: Shooting down an enemy UAV or Counter-UAV
- 3 Points: Shooting down a VTOL Jet, Support Helo or Chopper Gunner
- 5 Points: Eliminating an Operator (Human-controlled characters), shooting down an enemy Gunship or destroying an Operator-owned or occupied vehicle.
One last key thing to note is that Ground War Invasion features a frontline system to determine its respawns. The average player position for each team will be calculated by the game and used to determine respawn, rather than a squad-spawn system.
For more on Call of Duty, be sure to check out our top five lists:
- Top 5 Call of Duty Games of All Time
- Top 5 Call of Duty Guns of All Time
- Top 5 Call of Duty Maps of All Time
- Top 5 Warzone Moments of All Time
- Top 5 Warzone Seasons of All Time
Additionally, feel free to check out our timeline on the history of the Call of Duty franchise!